Following a week of intense classes for Project X, many of us felt uncertain and slightly lost about the direction the project was going. A lot of us had concerns such as:
- Deliverables – What is the final outcome going to be? How are we going to make a “provotype”?
- Deadlines – When? Where? How?
- Why we were looking at such divergent topics?
- Why we were presenting abstract case studies? How do they relate to Project X?
I myself, felt bombarded with new knowledge and work, and trying to piece together what was due in for when was what I was particularly struggling with. Also, getting my head around the direction the project was going was also a concern.
I’ve found it difficult to communicate with my group at times. Many group members either don’t seem interested in the project, or have a negative approach, wanting to just get the work done in the quickest and most efficient way possible, without pushing the boundaries and thinking about how we can develop an idea.
During the session with Tim, (my tutor) I was able to voice my concerns, which in itself was helpful. Tim asked us to think about how we might address these issues. I think in my case, I need to try and show some sort of leadership, especially being a mature student and on the BA, stimulating debate and conversation amongst the group in order to generate a large pool of ideas and sub-topics within our given discipline (waste & pollution).
My main takeaway from Tims session was to consider the end user, asking myself how we can effectively engage the target audience, college students, in something they may not naturally take interest in. In slide 7 of Tims presentation to us, really resonated with me. He asked us to right a short sentence about how to restate the problem in a systematic way, using this framework:
“Redesign the [ topic ] experience for [ user ].”
Eg,. Redesign the social experiences of the elderly living alone. Redesign the public park experience to encourage the fitness of families
This enabled me to simplify everything we’ve learnt in the last week, and gain a greater perspective on what the project could achieve, and the direction the project could go in. I took a short time to think about my answer, and came up with the following:
Redesign the experience of the disposal of plastic waste, using gamification to engage the end user.
Everything seems a little up in the air at the moment, which I think is the source of my own anxiety over the project. However, next week is a new week, and I think it’s important we pull together as a group.
I think this short simplification class has been invaluable to me. I’ve grasped a better idea of the project, and been able to consider the needs of the end user, asking myself “what will make my end user happy”. From this, I’ve already been able to generate ideas, which I wasn’t able to do before due to the lack of understanding and uncertainty of the outcomes of the project. I feel like I’m now able to move forward into next week and relay what I’ve learnt with my group, enhancing our project collectively.