After producing some some sketches to get ideas down quickly on paper, I moved onto the digital mockup of some of the logos. I experimented with a variety of different typefaces, looking for an American feel. This lead me to look at think slab serifs and bold san serif fonts, as I thought that might tie in with the varsity feel.
I didn’t want to put too much emphasis on the production of the logo, as this isn’t a branding project per se. However, I did want to show on my new found hand rendered skills. To do this, I replicated a typeface I liked online, experimenting with different embellishments. This personalised style fits in well with the customised shoes theme, giving a unique feel to the logo. The name started as Creps Customs, but after careful consideration, I changed the name to Custom Kicks. The name clearly explains the purpose of the brand in a concise way, making it easier to produce a logo.
Although I like the style and the appearance of the design, I felt the pairing of the typefaces wasn’t quite right, and this reflection also made me consider the name to. At this point, I looked at other styles of typeface that I thought might work. I did however, want to continue using the “Custom” lettering, as I think this would work well with a different style of typeface.
The above artboard demonstrates the creative process I went through, experimenting with different combinations of typefaces and compositions. adding brush strokes and playing with masks.
After a lot of thought and experimentation, I felt my best design was the following:
The personalised, fluid hand lettering in conjunction with the contrasting blocky slab serif typeface gives a nice balance to the logo, that would work well across a variety of applications, such as web, print, and mobile designs.