After looking at all of our feedback from our initial display, we made notes of the common and key areas of improvements. Some interesting comments were made, though some were also quite broad, however they helped us refine our ideas and approach to the next phase of the design process.
I think it was clear that people wanted more visual elements to the design to make it more memorable. The initial reaction to our display was quite negative and unappealing, seeing as it was just plastic waste dumped in a trough! Other successful groups had drawn there audiences in with clearer, bolder visuals and use of design styles that appealed to our target audience. Again, it was important to consider the end user, and encourage a younger demographic to engage with the design as well as the issue. The people in our group are quite bright and energetic, which I think was conveyed during the display day. However, the next display must stand alone, and we can’t rely on our on enthusiasm to see us through.
Another element that people wanted to see was the presentation of the other side of the debate. How can people make a difference? So far, we had only considered the negative effects of the issue, focusing our attention on the shock factor. Moving forward, I think it’s important to show how people can make a difference.
On Friday, we all felt quite dejected after finding out that the displays would no be flat, on a board, instead of a “provotype”. Our understanding of the brief was that we were going to produce a provotype, however the goalposts had changed. Although this was annoying, it was also a good learning curve, as that is just life. Things change quickly, and designers have to adapt to these changes quickly and efficiently, to please clients, consumers, and audiences.
I tried to take the lead in the group, injecting some energy and enthusiasm to proceedings. This subject may not be to everyones taste, however, it was our job as designers to fulfil the brief to the best of our abilities, and leave our emotions at the door, so to speak. Following dialogue as a group and with tutors, and also considering our feedback, we discussed different design ideas that would help bolster our previous design, and help it stand alone. One of these was remembering one of our classmates ideas from a previous display, story boarding an idea in the form of pictures. We toyed with the idea of showing the journey of a single plastic item, from production to the sea. However, this was dismissed when we realised it would be difficult to document the whole process.
We later landed on the idea of sticking with a similar approach to our previous display, however, making it more visual and adding more design elements to encourage a positive reaction from our audience. I think, so far, this week has been more positive and we are beginning to work better as a group, and understand each others strengths. We created a group chat and have been in constant communication since leaving college today (Monday) and I think everyone feels more comfortable and understands the direction we are going in, and the work everyone needs to complete for Friday.