Evaluation of Typographic Poster Project

The typographic poster project was initially daunting, in the sense that we had to come up with our own creative ideas and use industry standard software to produce a professional piece of design. However, after working through the design process methodically, the creative ideas started to flow and I was able to write down everything I thought of, and then sketch out the ideas I thought were suitable and achievable. This actually aided me in the layout of the text and imagery.

When gathering images of examples of type, I took pictures too far away, and not isolating individual characters that I may be able to use in the design. If I were to do this again in the future, I would study the brief more closely before going off to do research, and maybe use more sketches to have a clear image to work to.

Having empathy towards the intended audience was something I struggled with in the beginning. Actually understanding who the poster would be targeting and what they’d expect to see was difficult, however after researching other typographic posters I was able to pick out key elements that would make my poster appeal to the intended audience. For example, I picked out certain fonts I wanted to use, the contrasting type for different elements of the text to make more important text stand out, and the less important less prominent, and the layout, spacing, kerning, and tracking of the type.

When it came to actually digitally designing my poster, I found it difficult to stick to one design I really liked and follow through, developing ideas. By the end of the project, I felt confident in my selection of images and type, and believe my poster will reach the intended audience, and meet the brief. Sometimes I would dwell too long on a design feature that was over complicated for this specific project, and then felt rushed to get ideas that would work well. This comes down to time management. Looking at what time scale I have to complete the design process, breaking the process up into smaller, bite sized sections, e.g. research, sketches, ideas, imagery, typography, and layout, and dividing the time up equally. This way, I will feel more organised, and less frantic, making my designs more structured and hopefully, overall a better end product.

Throughout this process, I’ve noticed the importance of gathering as many ideas as possible, no matter how crazy or abstract they may be. A lot of the time, I’d think of one idea and then develop more ideas around that same topic. So even though the original idea may be inconceivable, the ideas that follow may have some substance and be able to use them in the design.

I also found blogging difficult at first. In the future I will blog as I progress through the project, and not leaving it until the last minute. It works better as a diary and writing an evaluation after I’ve learnt or noticed something, so I can remember for next time.

I really enjoyed looking at the different forms of type in one specific place. It was interesting to look at what the messages the different typefaces convey, and how they can be combined to with imagery, illustrations, and shapes to create a really effective and eye-catching poster.

Evaluating my designs and other peoples work was also incredibly useful. Referring back to Edward De Bono’s idea of PMI, I was able to pick out elements of the designs that I liked and thought worked well, and what may be interesting to use in my design or later designs further down the track. Also evaluating what didn’t work so well was important, so I didn’t replicate these in my own designs, hopefully achieving

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s