Process of design

In this post I want to show the evidence of the process I went through when implementing my designs into digital format.

Design 1


I initially placed the desired image I wanted to use as my background.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 17.50.26

I then made a border and a box aligned centre, coloured white

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.08.03

I worked on different layers so everything I did could be edited easily.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 17.06.48

I cut around the type I wanted to use in the design with the pen tool in illustrator, then went to object, clipping mask, make. I did this for every individual character, on different layers. I placed this text above the the background image so it was visible above the background. I also created a rectangle, made it a compound path, and then clipped it to the background. This made created a good contrast between the darker background and the white text.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 19.51.44

I also clipped the inside of the B so you could see the background more. I also clipped a box and placed it behind the Bexhill text layer, and clipped it to a copy of the background image. I thought the darker colours of the image contrasted well with the white text, and also it reveals more of the background image.

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 19.01.10

Screen Shot 2015-10-11 at 16.13.07

I played around with the arrangement of the “around” segment. I thought it would work well to visually show how the text fits around another piece of text, meaning people don’t have to read the text, they get an idea from the imagery. In this design, i  don’t think it actually works. I like how its all straight lines and aligned centre, and having an ellipse in the middle makes it hard to position the other text around it to work well.

I then inserted the website text at the bottom.Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.13.45

Design 2


I first placed my background image onto the art board

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.20.43

I then cut out the T I would use for in the title, “Typographic Walk” in illustrator, and then made a clipping mask so only the T was visible.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.28.00

I chose which typeface I wanted to use alongside the T. I used Bebas as I wanted to use something that was bold and eye catching. I felt like it worked well with the other fonts in the design.

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.26.26

I then decided to arrange the “around” text on an ellipse, above the seagull. I used a font called KG Eyes Wide Open, a handwritten font. I feel like this gives a touch of elegance and class to the design. I then chose the type for the “Bexhill” text. I used a stylised font called MARI&DAVIDRegular. The font has a texture that works well against the white stone behind. I also like how its sans serif, and quite long height, it sort of mimics the properties of stone and the structure of the dome

Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.41.44

I positioned the website text below the dome, bottom left of the design. I felt like the less important text had to be read, but the smaller point size doesn’t draw the audiences eye to that part of the design, and more to the sky and dome where I want to direct there eye. I chose the font “Just The Way You Are”. I like how its quite rigid for a sans serif typeface, and looks to be hand written in a amaturish style.Screen Shot 2015-10-18 at 20.53.55


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s